THREE NEW BOOKS

I went to a Cancer Research Charity Shop in search of a book that would wow me after the long long Good Book drought I have experienced.

There were so many books, I didn't know what to pick so I asked a lady for her recommendations...


Amazon.co.uk Review

Anita Shreve now offers a skilfully crafted exploration of the long reach of tragedy in The Pilot's Wife. News of Jack Lyons's fatal crash sends his wife into shock and emotional numbness:
Kathryn wished she could manage a coma. Instead, it seemed that quite the opposite had happened: She felt herself to be inside of a private weather system, one in which she was continuously tossed and buffeted by bits of news and information, sometimes chilled by thoughts of what lay immediately ahead, thawed by the kindness of others ... frequently drenched by memories that seemed to have no regard for circumstance or place, and then subjected to the nearly intolerable heat of reporters, photographers and curious onlookers. It was a weather system with no logic, she had decided, no pattern, no progression, no form.
The situation becomes even more dire when the plane's black box is recovered, pinning responsibility for the crash on Jack. In an attempt to clear his name, Kathryn searches for any and all clues to the hours before the flight. Yet each discovery forces her to realise that she didn't know her husband of 16 years at all. Shreve's complex and highly convincing treatment of Kathryn's dilemma, coupled with intriguing minor characters and an expertly paced plot, makes The Pilot's Wife really take off. --James Barry (Amazon.co.uk)


Amazon.co.uk Review
Epic in scale and intimate in approach, White Teeth is an ambitious novel. Genetics, eugenics, gender, race, class and history are the book's themes but Zadie Smith is gifted with the wit and inventiveness to make these weighty ideas seem effortlessly light.
The story travels through Jamaica, Turkey, Bangladesh and India but ends up in a scrubby North London borough, home of the book's two unlikely heroes: prevaricating Archie Jones and intemperate Samad Iqbal. They met in the Second World War, as part of a "Buggered Battalion" and have been best friends ever since. Archie marries beautiful, buck-toothed Clara, who's on the run from her Jehovah's Witness mother, and they have a daughter, Irie. Samad marries stroppy Alsana and they have twin sons: "Children with first and last names on a direct collision course. Names that secrete within them mass exodus, cramped boats and planes, cold arrivals, medical checks."
Big questions demand boldly drawn characters. Zadie Smith's aren't heroic, just real: warm, funny, misguided and entirely familiar; reading their conversations is like eavesdropping. A simple scene, Alsana and Clara chatting about their pregnancies in the park: "A woman has to have the private things--a husband needn't be involved in body business, in a lady's ... parts."
Samad's rant about his sons--"They have both lost their way. Strayed so far from what I had intended for them. No doubt they will both marry white women called Sheila and put me in an early grave--acutely displays "the immigrant fears--dissolution, disappearance" but it also gets to the very heart of Samad.
White Teeth is a joy to read. It teems with life and exuberence and has enough cleverness and irreverent seriousness to give it bite. --Eithne Farry



Amazon.com Review
"I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974." And so begins Middlesex, the mesmerizing saga of a near-mythic Greek American family and the "roller-coaster ride of a single gene through time." The odd but utterly believable story of Cal Stephanides, and how this 41-year-old hermaphrodite was raised as Calliope, is at the tender heart of this long-awaited second novel from Jeffrey Eugenides, whose elegant and haunting 1993 debut, The Virgin Suicides, remains one of the finest first novels of recent memory.
Eugenides weaves together a kaleidoscopic narrative spanning 80 years of a stained family history, from a fateful incestuous union in a small town in early 1920s Asia Minor to Prohibition-era Detroit; from the early days of Ford Motors to the heated 1967 race riots; from the tony suburbs of Grosse Pointe and a confusing, aching adolescent love story to modern-day Berlin. Eugenides's command of the narrative is astonishing. He balances Cal/Callie's shifting voices convincingly, spinning this strange and often unsettling story with intelligence, insight, and generous amounts of humor:
Emotions, in my experience aren't covered by single words. I don't believe in "sadness," "joy," or "regret." … I'd like to have at my disposal complicated hybrid emotions, Germanic traincar constructions like, say, "the happiness that attends disaster." Or: "the disappointment of sleeping with one's fantasy." ... I'd like to have a word for "the sadness inspired by failing restaurants" as well as for "the excitement of getting a room with a minibar." I've never had the right words to describe my life, and now that I've entered my story, I need them more than ever.
When you get to the end of this splendorous book, when you suddenly realize that after hundreds of pages you have only a few more left to turn over, you'll experience a quick pang of regret knowing that your time with Cal is coming to a close, and you may even resist finishing it--putting it aside for an hour or two, or maybe overnight--just so that this wondrous, magical novel might never end. --Brad Thomas Parsons


I just started reading Middlesex and I am hoping and praying I enjoy it cos I am tired of 'blah' books. I spent £6.50 on three books, bargain innit? Although some charity shops sell their books for 50p each!!!

I will write a mini- review on each book when I am done.

9 comments:

white teeth by zadie smith is an excellent book. I have it and i thought it was a great read! tell me what you think

5:19 PM  

I have heard so much about White Teeth oh... I hope I enjoy it.
I'll be reading it after 'Middlesex'.

3:43 AM  

I havnt read white teeth, i missed it when it was on tv in the UK and seeing as I had a whole bookshelf of stuff to read first, I figured it could wait. Now, when 'On Beauty' came out, I jumped at the chance to buy it, with such good reviews and such an acclaimed author, there was no going wrong right? WRONG!

'On Beauty' - was such a terrible waste of my blessed time. That is three days reading (between reading on tube, staying up to finish off certain chapters.. holding out and praying it will get better... surely it cant be this rubbish all the way through...) I will never get those days back. Zadie Smith should may me for my trouble.

Needless to say I am in no rush to read anything by her again. I dont know if it is her style of writting, the lack of depth, her inability to make the reader connect with any of the characters, her boring half assed attempt at setting the scene ... list goes on... whatever it is, that woman should be stripped of all her prizes.

I'm currently reading 'The Accidental'. Next on the list for me is 'Half of the Golden Sun'. Most "worth every penny" book I've read is 'We need to talk about Kevin' - to think I bought it last year and had it sitting on my desk for 12 months!

Sorry, I'm rambling where was I? White Teeth: read with caution, Zadie Smith is not on my fav author list @ all, I'd only read her if there was absolutely nothing else in the world to do.

2:33 PM  

I havnt read 'White Teeth', i missed it when it was on tv in the UK and seeing as I had a whole bookshelf of stuff to read first, I figured it could wait. Now, when 'On Beauty' came out, I jumped at the chance to buy it, with such good reviews and such an acclaimed author, there was no going wrong right? WRONG!

'On Beauty' - was such a terrible waste of my blessed time. That is three days reading (between reading on tube, staying up to finish off certain chapters.. holding out and praying it will get better... surely it cant be this rubbish all the way through...) I will never get those days back. Zadie Smith should pay me for my trouble.

Needless to say I am in no rush to read anything by her again. I dont know if it is her style of writting, the lack of depth, her inability to make the reader connect with any of the characters, her boring half assed attempt at setting the scene ... list goes on... whatever it is, that woman should be stripped of all her prizes.

I'm currently reading 'The Accidental'. Next on the list for me is 'Half of the Golden Sun'. Most "worth every penny" book I've read this year is 'We need to talk about Kevin' - to think I bought it last year and had it sitting on my desk for 12 months!

Sorry, I'm rambling where was I? White Teeth: read with caution, Zadie Smith is not on my fav author list @ all, I'd only read her if there was absolutely nothing else in the world to do.

2:36 PM  

Ha Bougzy, I will read it soon and see if I agree or disagree with you, I think you're the first person I know of, who's not liked the book and I tend to agree with the Minority... I haven't read 'On Beauty'...

3:02 PM  

I've only read 'On Beauty' and while it isn't my favourite book in the world, it wasn't too bad. I think it's an alright book ... I wouldn't recommend it but I'll read 'white teeth' if I come across it.

I need to read 'we need to talk about Kevin', I have heard from everyone that it is absolutely amazing.

Anymore recommendations for me. I've read too many mediocre books in the last year ... what happened to all the great writers???

6:56 AM  

I'd like to join your book club. What do i need to do?

9:46 AM  

1982 - I read the blurb of 'Lovely Bones' can't remember the author BUT I saw it at WHSmiths today... I was so tempted to buy it cos it looks GOOD! 1982, check the review out HERE ... it's a dead young girl's story... I feel you, I haven't read a good book in ages!

Thru these eyes - Send your Email Address to blog.bookclub@googlemail.com

12:19 PM  

Hi there! i just wanted to invite you and your chain of friends to a new forum for africans to meet,discuss on various issues, network and learn from one another.
This forum is powered by nigerians and ghanians and we want to it be powered by all africa...it will be for fun, business connections, networking and advertising, relationships(romance/cordial) advice and possible dating hookups, and so many others things. Of course, its for matured people only. here is the forum address : www.oneafrika.net. join and start making use of the forum any best way you can ;)

1:39 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home