Nigerian Writers period

Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Adichie - Done
26a by Diana Evans - Currently Reading
Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Adichie - Next in Line

Purple Hibiscus Review
The first page of the book got on my nerves... I am so used to reading books by British, Irish and American authors... My first impression was that she was writing the book like she was talking... Does that make sense... It took me a day to get into the book, I had to change my mindset and it was not easy.

Once, I got into the book, it was an interesting read. It's about a rich Nigerian family, a religious father who is abusive, Kambili, the main character is so timid and her classmates think she is a snob, they don't understand that she has a STRICT father who will beat the HELL out of her if she doesn't come first in school or if she gets home a couple of minutes late... A father who has practically disowned his father because he is not Catholic... A father who has beaten his wife so bad, she has miscarried more than once...

Kambili and her brother stay at her Aunt's for a while and things start to get interesting...

I gotta go now, I might write a little more about the book...

Read it, if you can.

5 comments:

I've read it and I thought it was a briliant read. i actually found that I identified with the story more bcos of her style of writing, i.e. she makes you think you are actually present whe it all happens. FANTASTIC!

10:08 AM  

Yes, this book was very good, Half of a Yellow Sun is even better!

Have you guys considered "Beasts of No Nation" by Uzodinma Iweala? I thought this was a very good 9ja book too, if a bit short. It's written in a sort of semi-pidgin english but even I could get the gist.

2:37 PM  

Just finished Half of a Yellow Sun and that was REALLY GOOD! Highly recommended.

1:52 AM  

I am reading Half of A Yellow Sun and I am enjoying it!

4:27 AM  

Half of a yellow sun was great!!!!!!!!!!!!! I read it with some kind of feverish excitement. It was educating, informative and beautifully written.

Hey guys she (Chimamanda) just won the orange price for fiction for it. You might want to add that to your review on her book.

Hey Good work by the way-it must be hard work and I admire the concept you guys have i.e writin reviews and all .

3:15 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home