Synopsis: Audrey Niffenegger's innovative debut, The Time Traveler's Wife, is the story of Clare, a beautiful art student, and Henry, an adventuresome librarian, who have known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-three and Henry thirty-one. Impossible but true, because Henry is one of the first people diagnosed with Chrono-Displacement Disorder: periodically his genetic clock resets and he finds himself misplaced in time, pulled to moments of emotional gravity in his life, past and future. His disappearances are spontaneous, his experiences unpredictable, alternately harrowing and amusing.

The Time Traveler's Wife depicts the effects of time travel on Henry and Clare's marriage and their passionate love for each other as the story unfolds from both points of view. Clare and Henry attempt to live normal lives, pursuing familiar goals — steady jobs, good friends, children of their own. All of this is threatened by something they can neither prevent nor control, making their story intensely moving and entirely unforgettable.


My review: I really really liked this book. Once I started reading it, I didn't want to put it down.

It starts with the first time Henry meets Clare... she's known him since she was 6 but the 28 year old Henry has never met her! How confusing is that? They meet up and she talks to him about her childhood and how long she's known him for... even though he does not know her! She knows the older Henry.

Clare is 6 - Henry appears to her for the first time. He is in his 30s and he knows her name! What happened is - Henry is married to Clare in the future so he's known her for a long time and this is his first time meeting a young Clare. But the Clar married to him in the future met him when she was 6 until the first time 28 year old Henry meets a 20 year old Clare.
I'm not making much sense, am I?

Henry is a Chrono-Displaced Person and he disappears suddenly and finds himself in the past or the future. His mother is dead but he has gone back to the past and seen her when she was alive, he has met himself(both older and younger) so many times, so he has memories from his childhood of meething his older self. When he disappears(time travels), he leave all his clothes behind and arrives at his destination naked. He has no control over his time travelling, it's not like he closes his eyes and says where he wants to go... it just happens unexpectedly. I think I might say too much about this book.

Henry knows his future... he meets his daughter when she's 10 but in his present life, his wife is about to give birth to her. Clare, his wife has to live with this... knowing that he can disappear, without much warning, and not return for hours, she worries about him, scared that he might have appeared somewhere where he is killed. I have so many questions to ask... but I don't want to cos if you haven't read the book, it might spoilt it for you.

I know it sounds so confusing but this is a beautuful book... please read it if you can.

I just found out there's a movie coming out in 2008!!! Eric Bana(Hulk and Munich) and Rachel McAdams(Red Eye, Mean Girls) as Henry and Clare. I will watch it... definitely. I loved this book.

Anyone read it yet? Your thoughts? I must admit my review has not done this book justice... it is a well written book. The author thought about a lot before she decided to write this book. I wondered what would happen next, I smiled, I laughed, I was worried, I was sad, I was happy... I loved it.

8 comments:

sounds interesting really

6:21 AM  

This is one of the greatest books of all time. A truly captivating love story that can not be read quickly enough. It is written with such talent that the characters are honestly real. I was so sad to say goodbye to this book and to this powerful couple.

6:14 PM  

I absolutely loved this book. Got it from my local library and after crying, laughing and smiling i went out to get a copy which i read every 3-4months. Absolutely beautiful.

1:44 AM  

I echo Anonymous and Tolu. It's one of those books you read and go back to again and again. I laughed, I cried and laughed some more. I have yet to meet someone, anyone who has read it and not said without prompt, 'That is one fantastic book.'

4:56 AM  

This is my favorite book ... EVER!

I picked it up a few years ago in hardcover and I just finished re-reading it about 2 weeks ago. It's so emotionally stirring... even when you already know what's going to happen.

Sweet heart-breaking torture of a read!

1:39 PM  

So I bought this book and never read it...after reading all these comments, I just might have to pick it up.

Kofo @ STREETBRAND

4:45 PM  

Hi, new to your blog. Impressed by your reading list.

Picked up this book at an airport bookstand and could not put it down. Read it almost non-stop and think it is one of the best I have read in a long while. How she manages to keep the thread together without losing herself or the reader is in itself a great feat of writing. The story is indeed one of the best love stories there is. For what is love without pain?
I do worry about what the movie will do to the story after all the inevitable rewrites and focus groups and mandatory happy ending, it may not bear any semblance to this beautiful story.

5:10 PM  

I love this book! Its beautiful and im definately seeing the movie. Eric and Racheal are among my favourite actors and im sure they are talented enough to correctly deal with the emotions that are portrayed through the book. I think the only problem may come from trying to compress the story into a 2hr movie.

3:16 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home